Thursday, July 18, 2013

Cajun Love

I previously had a love/hate relationship with spicy food.  I absolutely loved it, but my irritable tummy hated it.  I loved it so much I continued to eat it AND continued having the tummy issues. I was sure I was never going to be able to enjoy my spicy food without having the tummy problems until Paleo came into my life.  I figured out that most of my issues were 1) the dairy 2) the amount I was eating and 3) the grains I was eating with the spicy food.

I am originally a Texas girl, but my parents dragged me kicking and screaming to Louisiana.  Once there I fell in love with spicy cajun food and seafood!  After about 15 years, and because of a job transfer, my parents dragged me kicking and screaming back to Texas.  So I don't know what you would call me.  I guess I'm a Texajan.  I really love Texas, but I also really love Louisiana.  I remember we hadn't been back to Texas very long and my parents took me to eat at a little Mexican restaurant in Las Colinas for my birthday.  We could not figure out what the green leafy stuff was that was all over our food.  It was in the salsa, on the enchiladas, and in everything.  Come to find out it was cilantro!  We still laugh about that today, because we couldn't imagine cooking any mexican food dish without cilantro! I love the stuff.

Jack's Dirty Rice is the recipe that I will be sharing with you today.  It's named after my brother who still lives in Louisiana.  He is the guy that nicknamed me Stevie which I still live with 46 years later!  I guess he wanted a brother, NOT a sister.  He is a great guy and boy can he kill his own food and cook it as well.  He is a Banker, a Harley guy,  and a loving big teddy bear all rolled up into one. You can make it as spicy or as tame as you like. The "rice" I use is actually cauliflower which has been riced; however if you aren't ready to totally make jump on the Paleo bandwagon, you may use brown or white rice.  It is proven though that white rice is just a little easier for the tummy to digest.  Do what makes you feel best.  No Paleo Police will give you a ticket! Here is the recipe, I hope you enjoy!



Jack's Dirty Faux Rice

1 Head of Cauliflower - you won't use the entire head
1/2 Pound of Pealed and Devined Shrimp
1 LB sliced Pederson's Sausage - nitrate free and unprocessed with no sugar
1 Tablespoon diced Garlic
1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tablespoon or Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
Crab Boil to Taste
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes - no sugar added


Break the cauliflower down into florets. Put the florets into a food processor and pulse it a few times until it gets to the "rice" texture. Don't over fill your food processor. It doesn't take but a minute and once you are done you will have beautiful cauliflower rice. If you do not have a food processor, you can also grate your cauliflower, but be careful for skinned knuckles.

Next, sauté your sliced sausage over medium heat until it browns. Remove it from the pan and set it aside. In the same pan add your olive oil and garlic and sauté until the garlic starts to brown. Watch it because it can burn pretty fast.

Add in your can of diced tomatoes, Old Bay, and your Crab Boil. I use at least one tablespoon Crab Boil, but you can season to taste. Mix all the items together until it starts to gentle bubble. Gentle bubble is not a full on boil, it's just until it starts to get a bubble or two. Once the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low.

Add in your sautéd sausage. Now for the best part! Throw your shrimp into the hot tub of tomato bubbly goodness. Let it simmer for about two minutes. It will not take long for the little guys to cook. Finally, put in a couple of cups of your cauliflower rice and stir until it’s fully incorporated. Cook another two to four minutes. You don't want to over cook the shrimp or make mush out of the cauliflower rice.

Now is the moment you have been waiting for. You are ready to dish up some of your delicious cajun goodness into a big bowl and enjoy. If you are interested in modifying this receipt, you can use diced chicken instead of seafood.

Hope you enjoy this receipt, if you need me, I'll be in the kitchen!


Stefanie

1 comment:

  1. Can all of the foods items that you use be purchased at Walmart, Albertson's, or Kroger? If not, is there any way that you can let readers know where. I would love to eat healthily if it a diet that is affordable for a couple living ONLY on their Social (In)Security!

    ReplyDelete