Monday, July 29, 2013

A Little Mexican Food Fix





Chicken Lettuce Tacos and a little meal prep

My husband used to say all the time, "Why in the world would anyone order a lettuce taco at a restaurant?"  He just couldn't understand why someone would skip a soft, warm, flour tortilla and instead go for lettuce wrapped around juicy chicken. Now after going Paleo and getting all the junk out of his diet he is totally singing a different song.  Chicken lettuce tacos are now one of his favorites.  He requests them about once a week.

Sunday afternoons are when I usually set aside for weekly meal prep.  I create a list of 14 possible meal options for the next week, including lunches and dinners.  I don't target them for  a specific day, just know that I will make that item.  Next, I make out my grocery list and make sure I have everything I need for those recipes.  I may modify the menu, depending upon what is on sale that week at my local market. I was able to get a good sale on chicken breast this week so I am going to be making several chicken recipes this week.

While putting all the groceries away I start my weekly meal prep.  Since I had just bought the chicken and it was already thawed, I cooked up several chicken tenders. I will use some of the tenders for tonights tacos and the rest I will save for another meal.  I washed and cut up several bell peppers, a shallot, and a poblano pepper.  I sautéed all those bright colored peppers in a large skillet with just a little garlic and cumin.  I will use some for the tacos and put the rest in the fridge for omelets, a frittata, or to add to some grass fed beef to use to stuff an acorn squash.  I also fry up some beef to have on hand for later in the week.  I usually fry it up in same pan that I used to prepare those wonderful peppers in. Not only does it give the beef good flavor, but I only have one pan to wash.  I would say that was a win-win!

After everything is finished cooking I make all the toppings to go on my tacos.  When I make toppings for my tacos I usually make extra for use in other dishes. Standard toppings include avocado, tomatoes, some kind of homemade salsa, and we have even put some grated carrot on the tacos. Again, try to incorporate as many vegetables as you can or use up what you have leftover in the fridge.  When it comes to the avocado I usually mash it up with a fork.  I have learned that if I mash the avocado up and put it on the taco it stays there. (I have had one too many avocado slices shoot out the other end of my taco and land in my lap.)  Assemble your taco with all of your favorite toppings and enjoy.

Tonight we used chicken but you can use any protein you like.  Try fish, spicy shrimp, ground beef, ground turkey, leftover steak or even pork.  Sometimes, I  even make two different proteins and we have one of each.  This is one of our most favorite quick go to meals that we love to eat.  I know that you will too.

If you need me I'll be in the kitchen doing the dishes!
Stefanie

Chicken Lettuce Tacos

Ingredients

  • 4 Boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1 Bell Pepper or 4 small sweet peppers
  • 1 Poblano Pepper
  • Lettuce of your choice...butter lettuce or romaine
  • 1 Shallot
  • 1 Avocado - mashed with a fork
  • 1 Roma Tomato - diced
  • 2 teaspoons Cumin - 1 for the chicken and 1 for the peppers
  • 2 teaspoons Garlic - 1 for the chicken and 1 for the peppers
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil - 1 each for the chicken and the peppers
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Homemade Salsa Verde  

Directions

  • Cut your bell pepper, poblano pepper, and your shallot into thin strips. Heat a tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet and add in your garlic. Next put your chicken in with the olive oil and garlic.  Brown slightly on one side.  This only takes a couple of minutes.  Turn your chicken over and then brown the other side.  
  • Once the chicken is browned on both sides, I add 1/4  to a 1/2 cup water to the pan and put a lid on it.  I then turn the temperature down to low and let it simmer.  This steams the chicken and makes it tender and juicy.  Check your chicken after a couple of minutes to make sure there is no pink showing and the juices are running clear.  Usually once the water is cooked out of the pan, the chicken is done. If  it isn't, then I just add a bit more water to the pan and continue to cook till the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
  • While your chicken is cooking, sauté your peppers, onions, and garlic in olive oil until they start to brown. At this point I add in about a 1/4 cup of water to this pan as well, just to let the peppers and onions soften up a bit.  We personally don't prefer our vegetables crunchy.  We really like them more soft and caramelized.
  • After the chicken and the peppers are done start working on your toppings. Mash your avocado with a fork and then dice up a roma tomato or cut some cherry tomatoes in half. Grate a carrot if you want some more crunch to your taco. You can even use sauté zucchini or squash instead of the peppers and onions. Sometimes I include jalapeño peppers in with my veggies for an extra kick. Again, be creative...put whatever you like on your taco!
  • Wash and dry off you lettuce leaf and lay it out. Put pieces of the sliced chicken breast on your lettuce leaf and then start piling on the toppings. Grab napkins before you go and sit down, because this one can get messy. Enjoy and let me know what all toppings you put on your taco!!!  I want to hear from you! 











No comments:

Post a Comment